Monday, October 1, 2007

Return from the Big Apple

This past weekend my friend from Houston and I met up in NYC for a few days of exploring and living it up! After going through my photos, I realized out of 121 - they are all either arm-length shots of our faces or pictures of buildings. I'll only post a couple to limit the repetitiveness. We did lots and lots of shopping and a moderate amount of sight-seeing, ate really great food, and even took in a show. (The 1/2 price ticket sales are unbeatable) Must go back again!



Finished Object #1: Apple Green BlanketI finished this on the plane to NYC this weekend and although its a little on the small side, I do like it a lot. I hope the recipient parents love it too! I even like the ruffle effect that the border ends up with, makes it a little more girly. However, if I made this again, I'd probably knit the main panel and pick-up stitches for the border since the gauges are so off.

Overall picture w/ very bad lighting:
and a better one of the stitches...
Finished Object #2: Anthropologie-Inspired Capelet (Free Pattern online at: LINK) I finished this last night and I'm not sure what I think about it. The yarn choice (Baby Alpaca Bulky) is not one I'd repeat because of the fuzziness of the yarn - although it is super warm and snuggly. I'm a little disappointed because I thought I'd give this as a gift, but I'm not sure its up to snuff. For a second try, I do have another (fabulous AFY) button waiting in the wings for some Manos de Uruguay, 2 skeins of Kohl.....













Must also credit http://ysolda.com/wordpress/pictorial-guides/sewn-button-loops/ for her excellent button loop tutorial!


By the way, **Does anyone know how to update your Ravelry page with the blog updates? I can't seem to get them to link-up**

4 comments:

Beatriz said...

Welcome home! I would love to see New York in the fall or during winter holidays. Only been there in summer months. So badly want to go to Chelsea's market and Flying Fingers yarn shop!

Anonymous said...

Hi April! What a fabulous trip to NYC you had (and productive knitting too!). Did you visit "Purlsoho" while you were there? They have great yarn (and fabric, as you know).

Your baby blanket is beautiful. Got to love that harringbone pattern. The green is a great color, definately 'up to snuff'...

Anthropology? One of my fave stores. I love every knitted garment in the store. Your sweater is adorable.

Hope all is well with school! Play hookie and spend an evening with us at AFY!

P.S. Just got my invite to Ravelry

April said...

I tried to get PurlSoho's number from information but there was no listing??? I tried! I mailed the blanket to my friend who is due 10/11, so I bet she'll see it after she gets back from the hospital! Have fun on Ravelry and look for me - socalknitter

Becky said...

I love the capelet.

Your pictures of NY are great.